Open Access Publishing in the Journal of the World Aquaculture Society
The Journal of the World Aquaculture Society is committed to the advancement of technological innovations and solutions to major issues facing the growth of global aquaculture. Effective dissemination of scientific information is fundamental to its contribution to ecologically, socially and economically sustainable production of all aquatic species worldwide.
Open access publishing is a highly effective way for authors to make their work available globally. Moreover, some funding agencies, notably in the European Union, require authors to choose open access for their publications to ensure transparency and widespread availability of scientific results. However, the emergence of predatory publishing (exploitative businesses that charge fees for publishing without providing editorial services related to peer review and quality control, that use fraudulent impact factors or ISSN numbers, etc.) along with a wide variety of open-source publishing options has generated concern over the scientific and ethical integrity of articles published in open forums.
The Journal of the World Aquaculture Society and its publishing partner, Wiley, Inc., are committed to its high standard of scientific and ethical integrity. Attendant to these standards, this document defines and describes the open-access option available to authors who have had a paper accepted for publication in the Journal of the World Aquaculture Society.
For the Journal of the World Aquaculture Society, open-access publication is available to authors but only after the paper has been accepted for publication. The review process used by the editorial board is rigorous and is conducted without any knowledge of the intent of the authors in terms of open-access publication.
Open-access publication means that anyone can download the published paper whether or not that individual is a member of the World Aquaculture Society. There are several advantages to authors to invest in open access publication of their papers:
- Open-access papers are cited more often and therefore will enhance an author’s own citation score.
- Open-access papers may result in an increased application of the findings that can lead to greater impact on aquaculture growth and development;
- Open-access papers provide more exposure for a scientist and his/her work, possibly leading to increased opportunities for collaboration, proposal development, and engagement on new projects.
Once an article is accepted for publication in the Journal of the World Aquaculture Society, the author can choose to make it open access and available to all, including individuals who do not subscribe to the journal, on the Wiley Online Library. Wiley will also submit the published article in PubMed Central and PMC mirror sites. The service cost for OnlineOpen is US$3,000, and it is important to remember that there are no page charges associated with publishing in the Journal of the World Aquaculture Society. The cost to make your article open access can be paid by the author, the author's funding agency, or the author's institution. To make your article open access, select “Make my article OnlineOpen” on the “My Publication” page on the OnlineOpen Form on the Wiley Author Services web site (https://authorservices.wiley.com).
Featured Store Items
- Aquaculture Businesses: A Practical Guide to Economics and Marketing
- Understanding Aquaculture
- Largemouth Bass Aquaculture
- Cleaner Fish Biology and Aquaculture Applications
- Sea Bass and Sea Bream A Practical Approach to Disease Control and Health Management
- Catfish Days - From Belzoni to the Big Apple
- Aquaculture: Will it rise to its potential to feed the world?
- Handbook for Aquaculture Water Quality