Announcement of the Official Formation of African Chapter of World Aquaculture Society
November 7, 2018
It is with great pleasure and excitement that we announce that on November 7, 2018, all requirements for formation of the African Chapter, WAS were completed and the WAS Board voted the African Chapter into official status. This result follows much hard work by many people and organizations after the African Chapter concept developed initial momentum during World Aquaculture 2017 in Cape Town, South Africa.
The African Chapter will quickly develop its official organization structure and begin to operate throughout the whole of the African continent. The initial operation will be guided by the interim Board of Directors:
- The Interim Board President is Dr. Sherif Sadek from Egypt
- Dr. John Walakira from Uganda is the Interim President Elect
- Dr. Flower Msuya from Tanzania is the Interim Treasurer
- Zukiswa Nkhereanye is the Interim Secretary.
- Blessing Mapfumo is the AC Secretariat.
Khalid Salie, Fatima Samodien and Zukiswa Nkhereanye served on the AC Steering Committee and worked closely with many others to put together the bylaws and petition to form the Chapter.
A very import part of the future success of the African Chapter is the belief and support of Aller Aqua for the African Chapter. Aller Aqua has agreed to support the African Chapter, World Aquaculture Society (WAS) as a FOUNDING GOLD SPONSOR, thereby contributing to the activities of the Chapter and Society, and specifically to the development of its World Aquaculture activities in the African region for a period of 3 years. Aller Aqua will sponsor the Chapter activities as well as future workshops and meetings.
“It is important for us to continue to have a positive impact on aquaculture globally. Aquaculture is experiencing significant growth, particularly in Africa, and it is vital to support initiatives which help ensure that growth of aquaculture is facilitated all over Africa. This is done through research as well as sharing knowledge. Besides our own activities, we can help achieve this through our support of the WAS African Chapter and their efforts. I am pleased that WAS have chosen to focus on aquaculture in Africa and through the African Chapter recognize the large diversity on the continent. We experience it when meeting with customers from the various African countries” Niels Lundgaard, Aller Aqua’s Commercial Director for Africa explains.
The African Chapter has begun participating in other African aquaculture events and will begin planning workshops and meetings organized by the African Chapter. The African Chapter will do whatever it can to promote the growth of aquaculture in Africa!
Maria Celia Portella
President, World Aquaculture Society
For more information, contact Blessing Mapfumo firstname.lastname@example.org
About Maria Celia Portella
Featured Store Items
- Aquaculture Businesses: A Practical Guide to Economics and Marketing
- Understanding Aquaculture
- Largemouth Bass Aquaculture
- Cleaner Fish Biology and Aquaculture Applications
- Sea Bass and Sea Bream A Practical Approach to Disease Control and Health Management
- Catfish Days - From Belzoni to the Big Apple
- Aquaculture: Will it rise to its potential to feed the world?
- Handbook for Aquaculture Water Quality